Week 1 Regular Season Southern California Signal The Light Basketball Rankings
- Fullerton (3-0): The Hornets take over the top spot in the rankings after going 3-0 to start off the season. Fullerton picked up wins over Los Angeles Trade Tech and followed that up with a 81-65 win over San Bernardino and another double digit victory over Santa Monica to start the season off. Fullerton is off this week and will return to action on November 17th as the Hornets will face Cerro Coso at home.
2. West Los Angeles (2-0): The Wildcats move up two spots in the rankings after going 2-0 in opening week action. West Los Angeles picked up a big win over Los Angeles Pierce and showed everyone why they are going to be a top team in the state beating San Bernardino 86-72 in Santa Monica over the weekend. The Wildcats will be in action this weekend at the Alvin Hunter Classic in San Bernardino and will face Copper Mountain (1-2) in the 1st round as action begins on Friday.
3. Santiago Canyon (2-0): The Hawks move into the top 5 and up three spots with the shake up top. Santiago Canyon picked up two wins last week as the Hawks beat Long Beach 82-75 and followed that up with a 90-66 win over Glendale in Santa Ana. This week the Hawks will be in action twice as Santiago Canyon will host Chaffey (0-1) on Wednesday and follow that up with another home game against MiraCosta (1-2).
4. East Los Angeles (2-1): The Huskies drop one spot in the rankings after going 2-1 in Northern California last week to start the season. East Los Angeles picked up wins against Santa Rosa and Yuba as both teams were ranked in Northern California to start the season. The Huskies suffered their first loss of the season against San Francisco as East Los Angeles lost 94-65. This week East Los Angeles will be in the Alvin Hunter Classic and face Moorpark (1-2) in the 1st round as on Friday in San Bernardino.
5. San Diego (2-1): The Knights drop four spots in the rankings after going 2-1 last week at the Don Gehler Memorial Tournament. San Diego cruised to a 91-71 victory over Copper Mountain and then overcame a 21 point deficit to slip past MiraCosta 81-79 but suffered their first loss of the season as the Knights loss to San Diego Miramar in the championship. This week, San Diego will look to get back on track as the Knights will host Orange Coast (2-1) and Barstow (0-2) at the Knights Invitational as action begins on Friday night.
6. Riverside (3-0): The Tigers move up one spot in the rankings after going 3-0 in Ventura over the weekend. Riverside picked up wins against Moorpark, Pasadena and Victor Valley to start the season off. The Tigers average margin of victory was 22.6 and Riverside will look to pick up their fourth straight win over the weekend. The Tigers will face 12th ranked Citrus (1-0) on the road on Saturday in their lone game of the week.
7. Ventura (3-0): The Pirates move up one spot in the rankings after starting the season with three straight wins. Ventura cruised past Pasadena 78-37 and followed that up with another big win over Victor Valley and needed double overtime to slip past a much improved Antelope Valley team 104-103. Ventura outscored their opponents by 82 points over the weekend and this week will be in Irvine and play in a four team tournament as the Pirates will face 10th ranked Irvine Valley on Thursday. Ventura will either face Cerritos or Canyons on Friday in their second game of the week.
8. San Bernardino (0-2): The Wolverines had a rough start to their 2021-2022 and drop three spots in the rankings after losing two games last week. San Bernardino faced off against two opponents within our top 5 and suffered set backs as the Wolverines lost to Fullerton 81-65 and followed that up with another loss against West Los Angeles 86-72. The Wolverines will face another ranked opponent in 1st round action of their own tournament facing 9th ranked Saddleback on Friday night.
9. Saddleback (0-0): The Bobcats move up in the rankings following a bye week following some shake ups in front of them. Saddleback will have their season opener at home on Tuesday as the Bobcats face Southwestern and then will face off against 9th ranked San Bernardino in 1st round action of the Alvin Hunter Classic on Friday evening.
10. Irvine Valley (1-0): The Lasers move up two spots and enter the top 10 after going 1-0 last week. Irvine Valley is one of five teams in the Orange Empire Conference ranked inside of our top 10 Socal rankings. Irvine Valley picked up a 68-48 win over Cuyamaca in their lone game of the week and will be in action this week against 7th ranked Ventura on Thursday at home. The Lasers will follow that up with a game on Friday against Cerritos or Canyons for the 2nd game of the week.
11. Cerritos (2-0): The Falcons move up three spots in the rankings after picking up two wins last week. Cerritos opened up their season with a 69-58 win over Mt. San Jacinto and followed that up with a 92-70 win over Desert to start the season. The Falcons will look for their third straight win as Cerritos will face a high scoring Canyons team on Thursday in Irvine and follow that up with either a game against 7th ranked Ventura or 10th ranked Irvine Valley on Friday.
12. Citrus (1-0): The Owls move up three spots in the rankings after winning their lone game of the week. Citrus picked up a 93-79 win over Mt. San Antonio. Citrus will look to continue their winning streak as the Owls will have two games this week. Citrus will be on the road and face Long Beach on Wednesday and follow that up with a home game against 6th ranked Riverside on Saturday to close out their week.
13. Los Angeles Southwest (2-0): The Cougars enter our Socal rankings after posting two victories last week. Los Angeles Southwest scored over 100 points twice and picked up a 120-110 win over Desert and followed that up with a 102-95 win over Mt. San Jacinto. The Cougars have some solid pieces and can score the basketball and will be back in action this week as Los Angeles Southwest will travel to Rancho Cucamonga and face Chaffey on Friday in their lone game of the week.
14. San Diego Miramar (3-0): The Jets enter the rankings after posting three wins and winning the Don Gehler Memorial Tournament. San Diego Miramar picked up wins against Rio Hondo, Palomar and knocked off preseason top ranked San Diego 62-55 in the championship game. Miramar will have the week off and be back in action on November 17th as the Jets will face Irvine Valley on the road in a non conference game.
15. Santa Monica (1-1): The Corsairs drop four spots in our rankings after going 1-1 last week. Santa Monica picked up a 70-69 win over Cypress but suffered a loss against Fullerton in day two action at home. The Corsairs will look to get back on track this week as Santa Monica will be in San Bernardino in the Alvin Hunter Classic and face Compton in the first round on Friday.
Signaling a Light: Hancock (1-1), Cerro Coso (2-0), Palo Verde (2-1), Antelope Valley (2-1), Mt. San Jacinto (0-2)